Search This Blog

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Women of Importance (to me)

Goodbye Katie, Katie goodbye


That's Katie as in Katie Couric, host of the CBS Evening News and until recently a figure of some interest here at The Blob. Call me pathetic but I still figured that my own long-distance relationship notwithstanding, I could one day make her mine. My latest scenario had her downtrodden after being axed for languishing a distant 3rd in the ratings and me writing what would have to be the all-time greatest courtship letter. It would have to be concise (she's very busy and perky) yet show me to be empathetic, warm, intelligent, funny, yet with an edge of danger and mystery. I'd even make a sideways allusion to "old money" without going into the details of my collection of pre-1950 dimes (47 at the latest count!).


This fantasy goes on for a while but bottom line,I've decided to put this potential relationship on the back burner and most probably right into the trash. I began to sour on Katie after she did a terrible exclusive interview with presidential candidate John Edwards and his wife who had recently been diagnosed with terminal cancer. She was pretty judgemental but has a way of prefacing her questions with "some people say" so it seems like its "them" and not "her" who are doing the judging. This is all made brilliantly clear in this editorial by commentator Brian Unger. Follow this link and then click Listen: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9284381


More egregious still is the latest news of Katie's new boyfriend; Brooks Perlin. He's 33 (she's 50), a serious triathlete, former hedge fund manager ("helping the needy pay for shrubbery since 1932"), and prep-school grad. A breath of fresh air for Katie Cougar, Perlin is also highly intelligent, affable, and great with kids. Some say he is a doofus with studiously tousled hair while others assert that he is a shiftless golddigger who will one day break her heart (something I would never do).


Michaelle Jean: Tired but happy

Our beloved governor general has also been in the news of late and many people who know of her close ties to yours truly (see archives may 26, 2006) have written in to express their concern. The situation is explained in the following article excerpt:
Governor General exhausted, cancelling public appearances
The Canadian PressPublished: Monday, April 23, 2007
TORONTO — The Governor General has been forced to cancel events because of exhaustion.
A spokeswoman says Michaelle Jean is feeling physically fatigued and needs to get some rest.
Jean’s doctor recommended she take some time off ahead of a visit this week from the Hungarian president, Laszlo Solyom.


I just happened to be in our nation's capital last weekend to play bass drum in an Ottawa Choral Society performance of Orff's "Carmina Burana". Michaelle and I got together and lets just say more than made up for lost time playing our own version of "Meet the Hungarian president"!! No wonder she called in sick on Monday. When I got back to Montreal I was in no condition to meet foreign dignitaries either.

No comments: