Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Norse Remorse- an Open letter to Amb.Havnen and the People of Norway

Dear Ambassador Havnen,
It was with a heavy heart that I read your scathing rebuke of Tuesday Apr. 10th. Somehow I've let an innocent joke go too far and in so doing have besmirched your great nation and it's delightful and industrious people. I apologize sincerely for my stupid and insensitive comments and trust that this will suffice. I can only hope that calls for a boycott of The Blob will go unheeded and that the powers that be will not see fit to suspend publication for any significant length of time. As you well know American radio host Don Imus (pictured here) recently referred to the Rutgers University women's basketball team as "nappy headed hos" and has payed a heavy price. Already he's lost his TV job and the radio show is teetering on the brink. Were the influential Norwegian lobby to focus negatively on The Blob I'm afraid the consequences, for my readers and me at least, would be dire. While my comments regarding Norway were way out of line I don't believe that I ever approached "Imus territory" (i.e. calling your people pasty faced fish eaters for instance ) and as such should be spared a fate similar to his. It is almost 40 years ago that the idea of the Norseman gained great popularity in western popular culture thanks to a singular television moment. I present a link to that very moment as a gift to you and all citizens of Norway with deepest regrets and warmest thanks for your kindness and understanding. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE&mode=related&search=

No comments: