Search This Blog

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Blob Finishes out of the Money Again




























'Stray Shopping Carts of Eastern North America' takes prize for oddest book title LONDON (AP) -








Rogue shopping carts beat green Nazis Friday in the battle for one of Britain's most unusual book prizes.
"The Stray Shopping Carts of Eastern North America: A Guide to Field Identification" was named winner of the Bookseller/Diagram Prize for oddest book title. Runner-up for the prize was "Tattooed Mountain Women and Spoon Boxes of Daghestan," The other finalists were "Di Mascio's Delicious Ice Cream: Di Mascio of Coventry: an Ice Cream Company of Repute, with an Interesting and Varied Fleet of Ice Cream Vans," "Proceedings of the Eighteenth International Seaweed Symposium" and "Better Never To Have Been: the Harm of Coming Into Existence,"
Past winners of the 29-year-old prize include "People Who Don't Know They're Dead: How They Attach Themselves to Unsuspecting Bystanders and What to Do About It" and "How To Shit in the Woods: An Environmentally Sound Approach to a Lost Art."








What's a guy to do I ask you?? Almost an entire year at The Blob with numerous terrible book titles to my name and not even a nibble of that precious prize money. Perhaps a retrospective is in order....as I survey my body of work I can't help but think that these are awful titles but evidently not awful enough! What could I have done? Maybe I wasn't applying myself. Maybe I was aiming too high.












After all is said and done I guess the best course of action after a loss like this is to use the experience as a catalyst for improvement....time to get right back on the horse then!

Here's this month's Blob Book Club selection and this time it's something for the guys:






Enjoy!!









No comments: