Search This Blog

Monday, April 16, 2007

Summer 2007.........Any Bets???







Those of you who glance occasionally at NewYorker covers, read Frank Rich's column in The NY Times, or have frequented the antacid section of pharmacies in Connecticut will need no introduction. For the rest of you Barry Blitt is one of today's foremost illustrators better known of late as Ricky Blitt's (Family Guy, The Ringer, The Winner) brother.


His acerbic wit, uncanny eye, and skilled hand have produced some iconic images over the years so it is with great anticipation that I await the launching of his website sometime this summer! Unfortunately the awaiting and anticipating may go on for longer than just the next few months. In fact, I've got a crisp $20 in my hand that says the only change in his home page will be a shiny new "2008" target date.


"Why should I care?" you may well ask and the answer lies in a close connection between Blitt and The Blob. For starters many of you who have perused the comment section know him as GrantTinker, Tterbfan, The Stern brothers, Kent from Verbagecontrol etc. He is also an old friend and for many years I played Charlie Brown to his Lucy. We often arranged to go to school together which involved him phoning me to tell me that he was leaving for the city bus, my cue to do the same in 10 minutes if I wanted to meet him. Somehow this almost never worked as it should have and I could wait anywhere up to 30 minutes before he arrived, sometimes in rather inclement weather. It was important for us to ride together because the bus was where we did some of our best work including improvised musical numbers (who can forget "Pack me a Bag...I'm Going to Detroit"), engaged in purposefully disgusting conversations trying and often succeeding in getting the person in front of us to move, openly discussed the merits of our selected handrail grips (my fave was the German L5 with its reversed thumb-lock and clever forearm counter brace against the vertical strut), and more.


Yesterday it was me rueing his procrastination but today it's the art editors of the many august publications that hire him who do the haranguing as the missed or almost missed deadlines pile up. Today is also when I throw down the gauntlet and say with all confidence that there is no way that the Blitt site will be up and running this summer....and I could give a damn about what miraculous drug cocktail they come up with, it ain't gonna happen!
Yes, this is a challenge and I'll wait patiently for a response....I'm used to waiting.





9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Blob,

Firstly, It seems the Blob has taken on a more streamlined layout as of late. No side bar ads, site meter, blob video etc....I highly approve.
Secondly, I have had no luck purchasing your suggested reading by Turd Stuffington, though I have have been forcefully ejected from every major book store in the downtown core for asking about it.
Turdly, I regret that I have been neglecting the blob these last few weeks due to a hectic schedule, but promise to be back at it soon.

Yours in Christ,
Dixxx

Anonymous said...

Blob,

It's every little boy's dream - wake up in the
morning, race to the computer, and find that
you're the subject of a blob entry!!

Anyway, please cease [and desist of course]
using my image and likeness, or I will make you
pay through the eyes.

Your pal,

B

PS - Your hissily tossed gauntlet means not a
thing to me. I'll get to my website when I have time. Don't forget, adding an "s" to "deadlines"
makes "deadliness".

[that sounded better in my head]

slapper58 said...

Dixxx..thank God you're back!!!!! (wait a sec..I almost hyperventilated there......)OK....I'm glad that you approve of the spring cleaning. I thought a little freshen-up was in order as the big "One Year Anniversary" celebrations approach.
I neglected to tell you that you wouldn't find the latest Turd Stuffington Adventure in a "major" bookstore. I suggest checking out "Andros Books'n'Lube'n'Such" in the heart of the gay village. It's a quaint shop with a good selection of books and other merchandise. It's clean in general but the bathroom is in pretty bad need of some repairs. Imagine...holes in the stall dividers....I don't know what the owners are thinking! It's pure neglect if you ask me and could be easily fixed by plugging each hole with a little caulk...HEY...maybe you could suggest that when you drop by. Tell them you're a handyman and who knows, maybe you'll make an extra couple of bucks for your effort. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Dear Blob,

You are disgusting. It isn't even innuendo just flat out in your face. Laughed yes, disgusted yes - what's that about?

Back in paradise after a reminder of why I love/hate Montreal. Snow in rs!ouApril. Ya shoulda seen my get-up, borrowed odds and ends from the girls and I've got pictures to prove it.

Yours in Christ,
PG

Ps: Dixx, I can say that now since I spent Good Friday arse stuck to hard wooden pew for 3 hours.

slapper58 said...

Dear Backtoparadise,
I think that laughing while being disgusted is one of the main things that seperate us from our animal cousins. It's a completely normal human reaction and certainly nothing to be ashamed of.
As for your 3 hour church stint I was just wondering how many hours you've spent in church over the past 5 years (not incl. weddings, baptisms, or bingo). Was the 3 hour pew-sticker standard for you or an anomaly in an otherwise secular lifestyle? I know that Dixxx uses the phrase "yours in Christ" because he is especially devout and may be subtly trying to convert me (a whopping 75 afterlife points if successful!!).

slapper58 said...

Blitt (blessed be your name),
So glad to have made your dream come true and sorry that you didn't appreciate the free publicity (albeit with a reverse psychology type challenge thrown in). Kind of reminds me of those illustrators who almost got killed for depicting the prophet Mohammed. I promise to ask for permission from now on but honestly that web site come on of yours has been teasing me for months and I know how this all will end...a summer sitting by my computer...waiting.....waiting.....

Anonymous said...

Dear Blob,

In the past year I'd say I've spent a total of 6 hours in church - about 1 hour last year at Easter with Mau and another 2 with the girls at Notre Dame in Paris - that was for the Gregorian chanting - does that count?

This recent 3 hour arse sticking stint was obligatory. The reverend preaching is also a part time teacher at our school, (marketing, he has an MBA). I said that I would attend the Good Friday service several months ago little realizing it would require a 3 hour endurance test. I sat at the back thinking I could slip out if need be but that couldn't happen as I was one of 3 shiny, white faces in the congregation. Actually he's a great orator and the hours disappeared.

I'm not devout so can't say, "Yours in Christ" anymore, sniff.

PG

Anonymous said...

Is that sun-kissed hussy mocking my lord and saviour? Jesus must be spinning in his grave!
Dixxx

Anonymous said...

I've really missed you guys! I've been out of town seeing Canada with an orchestra that will remain nameless. The brightest spot in my trip was a wonderful night and day spent with your ravishing and favourite Phyllis Jensen. You should have been there to witness the pillow fights, Bob! Phyllis was an excellent host and let me win, which wins her a dinner next time she's in Montreal. We ate at Big T's or whatever that monument to meat is called. Even Bibi (a woman not generally given to eating with her hands) had to agree it was a wonderful meal. To say nothing of the cute little waiter we entertained. A night to remember. Thanks for a wonderful time, Phyllis!