Search This Blog

Friday, August 17, 2007

All Over but the Waiting

We navigated the final dirt road that brought us into the Millarville fairgrounds at a cautious pace so as not to disturb our precious cargo. The final triumphant chorale of Mahler's 5th symphony blared from the car's speakers as I held the pie aloft as a symbolic offering to the gods. The majesty of the moment didn't escape the many exhibitors who were there, as were we, to register their wares.
Once signed in we headed to the viewing arena and straight for the baked and cooked goods display, past the patronizing For Men Only area to the multi-tiered Saskatoon Pie table that would soon hold some 89 crusty delicacies. Competition for prime tier position was polite yet I must admit that my hockey playing experience came in handy. These farm women are fiercely proud and will become violent if provoked!
And so, Phyllis and I placed our entries with care and an eye for aesthetics all the while scouting out the other pies and oh what pies there were!! I'm not saying we're overmatched but we're talking 80 dollar ceramic plates and pies with ornate pastry appliques and cutouts. I stand by my creation but the jury, as they say, is still out. Tomorrow will surely come and with it results of the big contest. There is one bursary that I'm sure to win (more later) but as for the grand prize.....it's anybody's guess.
Rumor has it that Marnie Bigelow, the slut of Priddis, spent 10 minutes "looking for her contact lens" under the judges table and that old Reilly Mullins is offering up his prize sow for a weekend getaway. Country life isn't so different from city life after all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blobeleh,
I am quivering with anticipation, much like a big slab of lard...(wait, that doesn't sound right)

Anonymous said...

Don't stoop to the level of that harlot Marnie Bigelow.
Stay out from under the table. Your talent will speak for itself. We're on tenterhooks. Can't fuckin wait. BTW, Party Bear, Mama Callous, Toronto Maeve, Pappy Yokum are all here waiting up to hear the news. As soon as it comes over the wire we'll stop drinking! Make it soon for my sake!!!

slapper58 said...

Thanks lardy bear and Mama. I didn't stoop (nor did I conquer).I only hope that my info was sent in time to ward off the alcohol poisoning. If you're around next week we'll have you over for supper...BYOB