Search This Blog

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Odds 'n' Ends



What an embarrassment....World Refugee Day has come and gone and I was totally unprepared. No BBQ, no Dairy Queen with the kids, no surpise "airdrop" of loot bags for the neighbourhood children...nothing. Oh well, there's always next year and perhaps a grand gesture (did somebody say Block party??!?) I still believe though that no matter what the day we should all be thankful that we, unlike millions of unfortunate refugees, aren't living in squalor.

Speaking of squalor have you heard about the Continental Airlines trans-Atlantic flight from Amsterdam to Newark? For all the details and some fetching visuals check out this link, read the story, watch the video: http://www.fox11az.com/news/topstories/stories/kmsb-20070620-NWjc-continentalsewageflight.21e4b76d.html Briefly, 200 people on the plane, 1 semi-working toilet, and another that started spewing out raw sewage and overflowed into the aisles. How bad was it? Colin Brock, a Tacoma area student had this to say: "I've never felt so offended in all my life. I felt like I had been physically abused and neglected. I was forced to sit next to human excrement for seven hours, It was even worse than my flight to Taiwan where I sat beside Rosie O'Donnel the whole time!" Said another beleaguered passenger: It was hot, crowded, and rank with human feces, just what I needed after a 2 week business trip to New Delhi!" Medical authorities are unsure as to any possible lasting health effects from the ordeal.

Speaking of lasting health effects, it sure must be hard being a smoker these days. Kicked out of restaurants, office buildings, condos, and in general shunned by society, these weary souls are in a way the refugees of affluent countries. I've dipped into my vintage record bin and have pulled out something that may provide at least a little nostalgic comfort for those of my readers who are cigarette addicts. It wasn't too long ago that smoking was cool and fun...have a look:

No comments: