Search This Blog

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Blobipedia

Alright already.... One A. Harrelson in a recent comment asked if Allan Sherman was a Jew. If you read the comments you know that I replied in an unusually abrupt and testy fashion. I apologize for not heeding my own mission statement (something about being a friggin' encyclopedia if I remember correctly) and will now gladly answer the question.

Allan Sherman was a singer/songwriter/comedian who made it big in the early 60's as a parodist. His most successful LP's were "My Son the Folk Singer" and later "My Son the Nut" and it's #1 hit song: "Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh". His work layed the foundation for Weird Al Yankovic's career but his fame was short lived and he became increasingly embittered. In the late 60's he dropped out of view and converted from Judaism to Islam using the name Tariq al Tariq thereby laying the foundation for Cat Steven's career. His conversion and name change were never accepted by his parents and Sherman publicly mocked this in his final album. The attempted comeback was a dismal failure in the West and he died impoverished, one-handed (the result of a work related accident) and alone in 1973.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blob,

This is my first post on your fine blog.

As a goalie, I always wanted to know if an opposing shooter was a Jew [you can never do too much research].
In that respect, I am not so different than Mr.
Achmed Harrelson [whose radical views I do not share nor endorse].

And while we're talking, my favourite Allan Sherman tune is Al'n'Yetta. ["Al told Yetta,
something that upset her..."]. Cracks me up.

Continued best of luck,

Ken Dryden, MP

slapper58 said...

Wow...this is quite the honour Mr. Dryden. It is my great pleasure to welcome you to my humble blog and may I say at this juncture that I can only hope that your comment will mark the 1st of many such correspondences in the foreseeable future...am I running on here?? I do tend to gush when I'm nervous...sorry!!
Back in the day you probably had one Jewish colleague in the NHL and he was a goalie. I dare say that in your post hockey life as a lawyer your pre-game research, as it were, would have served you well.
"Al 'n' Yetta-The Drapery Song" (sung to "Alouette") was 1 of my faves too. The hilarious call and response section: "Gabardine, Velveteen, Gabardine, Velveteen, OOHHHH" got me every time!
Please pass along my regards to your constituency.

slapper58 said...

Editor's note: We apologize for the typo in the last comment....OOHHHH should have read OOYYYY.
Thank you

Anonymous said...

Hey congrats Bob!

My portugese is a bit rusty (like my trombone) but it seems someone wants to advertise the Blob on t-shirts. This could be the doorway to bigger and better things!

Dixxx

slapper58 said...

T-shirts?? Phew!!! I thought that was a death threat, colour me relieved and furthermore I take back everything I ever said about Portugal. The country and its people have made a HUGE contribution to mankind particularly in the fields of science, philosophy, and popular music! BTW I've been thinking about a BLOB T-shirt...small black lettering near the navel that says "If you're close enough to read this you might as well blow me!" Cute, eh?