Search This Blog

Monday, January 01, 2007

A Jensen Family Christmas







Recently back from Calgary I'm only now beginning to put into perspective the "Christmas that was" just a few short days ago. Like my favorite composer Gustav Mahler I felt thrice the outsider: An Easterner among Westerners, a Jew among Christians, and a...........(OK, twice the outsider).




To be fair I did my best to fit in and it was more than easy as everyone there was most accommodating and friendly. As always a suitcase full of Montreal bagels helped ease the path towards complete acceptance.




This Xmas was by all accounts a typical one; Turkey, mashed potatoes, Texas Hold 'em, a captured crow (pictured here on brother Carl's shoulder....it looks fake and/or dead but I swear it's real and is currently being nursed back to health by Phyllis after having some large feathers yanked out by the family hound) etc.



As always Christmas at the Jensen's is centered on the children and in particular Phyllis' twin daughters who despite their growing maturity and ample experience with the holiday still approach the traditions with wide-eyed, childlike wonder. University educated in Edmonton and France these well rounded girls (pictured below) still dig into the Christmas sweets with gusto and open their gifts with excitement and glee. This to me is the joyous innocence that is at the heart of the holiday and indeed harkens back to a babe (2 babes?) in a manger.



The warm atmosphere, the spectacular scenery......I think I'll be back next year.









2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Blob,

You are so, so, predictable? For a man, that is. (the boobs...isn't that what life's about?).

It sounds as though it was a wonderful Christmas. How could it be not with a Goddess like Phylis there to pull it off?

Mine was good - there was a piper on Xmas day, cheery, n'est pas? He didn't play Amazing Grace, thank god, otherwise it would have been a tear fest. Mom was there in her rosewood box, she came back later in the form of a snowny white owl -there are only 3 reported in British Columbia - she had a huge collection of owls given over many years... oooh, spooky, we thought it was Mom, who else?

As for me, I'm back in paradise, got toes in the sand, a little sweat on the upper lip, all in all, home, happy, happy. Cats here too, a saga to say the least, they survived, I cried, we happy!

Happy fucking holidays everyone! Ooops, was I politically incorrect? Excuse the fuck and insert frig...

Love you all,

Laura

slapper58 said...

Predictable? yes but only in the "perverted uncle" sort of way....I can live with that as can the subjects and their Mom(a goddess indeed!). The photo essay was a joint effort and I dare say, an artistic success.
I'm glad you're back in paradise and very sorry to hear about your Mother (the owl story is amazing). I'll be heading off to my own paradise tomorrow but more about that later. Happy friggin' holidays yourself!!