Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

The Blob Fights Back

I arrived home from Alberta early this morning, opened the daily paper and was greeted with the following article. Rather than copy it out in full I'll provide this link and a short synopsis. Basically the author, Prof. Michael Keren, contends that bloggers are lonely, deluded, losers. Go ahead...read the article...I'll wait http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070131.gtbloglonely0131/BNStory/Technology/home

OK then......I'll admit the man has credibility. After all, he's a college professor and published author. Indeed his book Blogosphere: The New Political Arena makes a convincing argument in favor of the above-mentioned assertions that we bloggers are a loathesome lot. Keren estimates that there are some 60 million of us who choose daily to lay bare our souls to the world via the internet. He then proceeds to interview 9 bloggers which is what's known in the world of human behavioral study as a "Representative sampling". (I figure that if you go outside and grab 9 people at random, 8 of them will be lonely, deluded, losers but that's another story)
I blog and I'm not ashamed to admit it but as part of my mission statement I've vowed to not turn The Blob into a diary where I pour my heart out to an uncaring public. I've spared you my misery.....the patch kit that was supposed to fix Angelina my inflatable mistress, the runny glue that found it's way into nooks and crannies, it's strange property of hardening on contact with human skin and our painful and embarrassing disengagement at the Jewish General's emergency department.
I've never burdened you with tales of loneliness, the hours of city bus rides to nowhere hoping against hope that someday someone will ask me for directions, for the time of day, or to simply be their friend. Each blog creates it's own little world of like minded people who, when push comes to shove, will be there to offer support and guidance. In my case I know in my heart that I can count on jd_5321 to provide "sexy girls for with me to party together any time" and this is all the consolation I need.
Michael Keren and academic naysayers of his ilk can write all the damning books they wish but until they get out here in the cyber trenches and experience, first hand, the magical brotherhood of a blog community their arguments will fall on deaf ears. Bloggers are like Noah and his family, escaping a disastrous world and sailing on towards a new reality. Woe be unto the scoffers who are left behind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Blob,
I see you saw the article. I don't know if you noticed my little note about it. I feel for you, you disenfranchised portion of society.

On another subject, I'm going to the Turks!!