Search This Blog

Sunday, June 01, 2008

TV Notes:

The passing this week of composer Alexander Courage (Star Trek theme -Blob list apr.7, 2008) raises a couple of interesting points:


  • Courage had little use for the science fiction genre refering to it as "marvelous malarkey" and yet he penned one of the great sci-fi themes of all time, at once swashbuckling, sexy, intrepid, and futuristic. This only goes to show that a fat paycheck is inspiration enough to a skilled professional.


  • His death also points out how far we are from realizing the dreams that Star Trek offered to us. One can only wonder what Courage's dying thoughts were as the NASA space shuttle astronauts had to rig up a back-up bag-like collection system in order to urinate as another mission raced to the rescue with a replacement part for their malfunctioning space loo. He scarcely could have imagined, years earlier, that the signature phrase : To boldly go where no man has gone before" would come to mean peeing into a bag-like collection system while orbiting the earth in a tin can-like space station.
At any rate th(Sorry for the interruption, Troy Huber here by means of a simple hack that maybe about .05 of Blob fans could even begin to comprehend. Blob is obviously forgetting about episode 28, season 2 of the original (and only) Star Trek entitled "The Arcturis Conundrum" where a mysterious force wreaks havoc on all of the Enterprise's life support systems including the waste disposal units. So much for not being able to predict the future. Remember this priceless snippet of dialogue?

Kirk: Scottie, the waste units are still malfunctioning. That Dilothian marsh hog we had for dinner is acting up, we'll have to make a pit stop at the nearest planetoid...give me warp speed 8!

Scottie: But Captain, the engines will never be able to handle warp 8!!! I don't want to be responsible for blowing up the Enterprise. Ye canna just hold it in a wee bit longer??

Kirk: It's either blow up the ship or blow up my colon......your call Lt. Scott.

Scottie: Warp speed 8 it is Cap'n!!

Priceless!!! This is Troy Huber, over and out.)e composer left his mark as did my next subject, Earle Hagen.

Hagen too died this past week leaving behind a rich legacy of television and film music. The former trombonist (who began as a baritone/euphonium player)worked with the Dorsey and Goodman big bands before teaming up with producer Sheldon Leonard to write for TV.

He wrote the Andy Griffith theme and that's him whistling as well, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E59YyrvCzj4&feature=related probably the most famous whistled tune in our popular culture! Mod Squad, Dick Van Dyke, I Spy, Gomer Pyle etc. are just a few of his best known theme songs. The aforementioned should have all been on the Apr. 7th list and I apologize for their omission.

Also gone but not forgotten is the illustrious comic actor Harvey Korman....here are some examples of this master of comedic timing and delivery:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-e7GB6i5vc&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoM-ZC7uNnc&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEGuVb-mtf0&feature=related (this 3rd one is mostly him cracking up during an onslaught by Tim Conway...one of Korman's trademarks) and at this point may I share with you the blogger's prayer:

Dearest God I write this blog

and do so in thy name.

Thou givest me material

by smiting men of fame.

Amen







5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Blobbie! This Troy Huber (if that's his real name!!!!!) has gone too far!! Disrupting The Blob.........well, I never!!!! He deserves a damned good spanking, and I'm just the one to "give" it to him, but good (!!!!), if you catch my drift!!!!!!! And no, I'm not kidding!!!!! Troy!!! If you'll let me know how to get in "touch" with you, I'll be over to give you the discipline you so clearly need before you can say, "Oh, Tobias!!!!!!!!" As the Jazzbos say, "are you pickin' up what I"m puttin' down???????" Troy!!!! Yes, this "punishment" will hurt me more than it will hurt you (just kidding!!! Ha! Ha!), but clearly; you are in desparate need of what we Analrapists call "Tough Love"; or what on the street is known as "rough trade"......whatever, I'm the guy to "give" it to you!!!!!!! Call me, Troy (you won't be sorry!!! ((well, only for a little while!!!! Ha Ha!! Just kidding!!! (((Not really!!!))) !))))!!!!!!!!!!! Tobias

Anonymous said...

Greetings, lovely Blobber! Of course, when I wrote the word "desparate", I meant "desperate"; perhaps I had had tee many martoonies (ha! ha!)!!! Excuse me for living my life (maybe that cute Troy Huber ((somehow, I can tell!)) could straighten me out (((somehow, I think he could!!! Wink! Wink!!)))!!!
I live in hope, Troy........Tobias (Toby)

Anonymous said...

Tobias Funke must be amazing in bed!! I've never seen so much punctuation!!!!!!!!!!!!!


bedridden beaver

slapper58 said...

Bedridden Beaver
I'm surprised you don't know the first rule of written intercourse "The degree of sexual prowess is in direct and inverse proportion to the amount of punctuation used" (the more lines and dots, the hotter your not)
This faux Tobias Funke is persistent in his pursuit of Troy Huber but he's barking up the wrong tree. No matter the bait, he can dangle his worm all day hoping for a bite but he won't even get a nibble.
Credit to Toby nevertheless for his ardour and commitment. He does bait really well, masterfully even! Yes Tobias is masterful at baiting indeed (there's a joke in here somewheres, I'm just not feeling it today...sorry)

p.s. Tobias (AKA Mikexxster?????) uses approximately 10 times the punctuation I do. You do the math!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Bedridden Beaver (how sad! Somehow, I know that I can help you!)!! You make me blush!! Of course, whether I am good in bed is not for me to say, but.................
What I do know, is that with just the right amount of proper punctuation ( what that scalawag Slapper 58 doesn't know about proper punctuation could fill a book!!!!!! The ravings of a delusional written-intercourse wanna-be!!! I feel sorry for him; wallowing in his pathetic, self-important, punctuational ignorance!!!!), I could have you up and out of bed in the wink of an eye; why, we could be dancing the Mattress Quadrille within mere seconds, thanks to the magic of proper punctuation; or even enjoying a rousing game of Couch Rugby,for example, within minutes!!!!! Such is the power of proper, manly punctuation!!!!!!
Bedridden Beaver!!! Take up thy bed, and let's talk!!!!!