Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Prejudice That Stands on Pointed Toe, Sticks its Head Above the Countertop, yet Dares not Speak its Name


Is heightism against men the last acceptable prejudice? The more I think about it the more I have to lean towards the affirmative especially since it's no longer OK to diss fat women what with the Dove Soap campaign and the fact that in North America at least 37% of the electorate is overweight and female. Award winning filmmaker Howard Golderg, Ina Fichman (his wife and the film's producer) and Instinct Films have bravely tackled this subject in a doc titled S&M: Short and Male

I've yet to see the movie other than a few YouTube clips such as the one above but the bright, articulate, and successful man who addresses the audience right off the bat is none other than my dentist!! (I kid you not) He has a twin brother, (also a dentist), and they share an office together. Their late father (also a dentist) used to be my dentist and was a good friend of my father (also a dentist).
Anyways, long story short, I was at a party 2 summers ago and the filmmakers were there. The subject of this potential documentary came up and immediately I thought of the twins. Now I'm not really friends with my dentist (although some of my best friends are short men) and the subject of his stature never came up during one of my teeth cleaning sessions so giving his name to the producer's secretary was a bit of a risk...maybe he'd be insulted. Whatever his possible reservations were he agreed to meet with director Goldberg, as luck would have it right after one of my appointments. Luckily he'd come to terms with it by then, you don't want to piss off a guy who's holding an electric drill in your mouth!! (see Marathon Man - 1976)
Bottom line: the film should be a hit and the twins are gold!!
I may not get a credit but as a talent scout maybe I deserve one.
And to my brave and self-effacing dentist perhaps an Oscar for best documentary short subject would be most appropriate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Death to shorties.