Search This Blog

Friday, October 19, 2007

It's Comeback Time

Everybody loves a good comeback, (and no, I don't mean the witty retort or insult...you argument for euthanasia!!) the riches to rags and back to riches again story that we just can't seem to get enough of. We wilfully participate in tearing down successful celebrities and leaders and then root for them to make it through rehab, jail, community service/admit their true sexual preference/find the Lord and get back to whatever it was that they used to do, ideally to succeed wildly only to hopefully fail again.

Sure this is one of the more pathetic aspects of human nature but I have to admit that I enjoy, for instance, the Oprah "Rollercoaster of Fat" as much as the next guy. I'll begrudge her the billions of dollars and applaud when she wheels out the symbolic wagon of fat to celebrate her weight loss but what I'm really waiting for is the inevitable failure (the latest is being blamed on a thyroid condition.)

I had the great misfortune of watching Britney Spears lastest video; Gimme More (which I believe is in reference to pork rinds) and I'm astounded that it's way up there in the N. American pop charts. It's shot in grainy, grimy black and white and she plays a low class stripper. There's no tune, stupid lyrics, some obligatory rapper...even the lowest common denominator crowd out there should object but no....we want a comeback!


And how about Benazir Bhutto?? Was that a triumphant comeback or what?? Throngs of well wishers and supporters, a spectacular Al Qaeda suicide bombing (the radical Islamic world's answer to the 21 gun salute) all there to herald the return of the once and future leader. From the squalid slums of Lahore to the squalid slums of Karachi the celebration/mourning continues while in the USA voters still gnash their teeth wondering whether they are ready for a woman president. Pakistan is an Islamic state with a sizeable population of radicals. It has nuclear bombs and along with Israel is the most likely place for the end of the world to begin and they're already on round three!!
The more I think about it the more I understand the "comeback" rationale. We all want to believe in the possibility of redemption and enjoy playing God, casting people out of the garden then letting them back in. We probably do this for the karma value hoping for similar treatment when we f**k up. I guess this judging/forgiving attitude is part of being human but with your help we can keep The Blob a judgement free (with the exception of some of my more verbose contributors) zone for years to come!

17 comments:

Maria Callous said...

I never thought I'd see the day when I'd look better than Britney Spears in a bikini. There is a god!!

Anonymous said...

Me too!!! (finally broke down and bought a bikin). And I have, what 25 years on her.

slapper58 said...

I never thought I'd see the day either!!!!! Let's have a spa day and then split a cheesecake!!!

Anonymous said...

L'enfer c'est les autres.

Maria Callous said...

You name the time and the place Blobeeeee!! Are you making the cheesecake or should I? Woohoo!! party down!!!

Anonymous said...

yum, no seriously I want the cheescake! Salivating as I think...

Anonymous said...

Blobbie!! I know you think I'm a cynic (I'm not!); but, as Gob Bluth would have it, COME ON!!!!!!!! Oprah, Britney--WHO GIVES A RAT'S ASS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! They are the worst kind of self-serving publicity-hounds, undeserving of the attention of even so much as one of your magnificent brain's synapses!!!!!!!! Why would you spend even two seconds watching a BS video (what perfectly appropriate initials!!! god DOES work in mysterious ways!!!!!)??? I'll say it one more time-JUST SAY NO!!!!!!!!! Benazir Bhutto, as a politician, at least PRETENDS to care about other people. By the way; is your "spa day" anything like Partybear's and my "health and beauty day"?? If so, count me in (except for the cheese-cake... I'm watching my embonpoint!)!!! SPA DAY!!!!!! Woooohooooooo!!!!!

TorontoMave said...

Mikester! You're back! Where have you been?

slapper58 said...

Maria I think we should make the cheesecake together. With my wealth of experience and your creativity we should be able to craft a masterpiece. PG can't be there and Mikexxxster would really be out of place in a dessert oriented activity so it looks like it will just have to be the 2 of us. Anyways, too many cooks etc etc.

slapper58 said...

Mikexxxster you seemed (once again) to have missed the point, probably because of the blind rage that overcomes you whenever I mention US pop culture. The larger issue was the tearing down and building up of people of prominence by the general public and press. I know that Britney and her ilk are merely products that are foisted on us by cynical producers but the how and why of her success, failure, and eventual success again make for an interesting study of mass psychology. Know thine enemy.

slapper58 said...

Mikexxxster I hope you don't feel left out of the spa/cheesecake extravaganza. Lord knows that you, Maria and I make quite the threesome but for this occasion I feel that your constant protestations of "Too sweet, too creamy, too cakey" would put a damper on the proceedings.
I know you'd want to be there even though you can't so here are the schedule and ground rules:
The day will begin with some light stretching, scalp massage, and pedicures followed by coffee and baking all tied together with a large pitcher of cosmopolitans.
At NO time will the music of Sarah MacLachlan be mentioned or played.
At around four o'clock we'll split the cheesecake and call it a day.
To be honest I can hardly wait!!

Anonymous said...

Torontomave!!!! You're a swell gal to be thinkin' of me!!! And sometimes I think of you, too; I really do!!! But to answer your question.............. where HAVEN'T I been????? A guy like me without places to go to, without people to see??? Are you kiddin' me???? I really appreciate your concern, baby; but between you and me.........don't go hitchin' your wagon to my star......... I'll only break your heart! Don't get me wrong,TOmave, you're a sweet kid; you really are!!!! But you've gotta forget about me! I'm no good for you, no good at all!!! Oh, I know it hurts now; but you'll get over it!!!! If any of your friends ask you why you're so sad, you'll probably say somethin' like, "I guess I flew just a little too close to the sun!!!!!" They'll understand!!! Friends always do!!! But in the future, when you hear the wind sighin' in the trees, what you'll really be hearing is the word Mikexxxsterrrrrrrr!!! When you hear the waves rollin' up from the ocean onto the beach, what you'll really be hearin' is the sound Mikexxxsterrrrrr!!! And then, you'll smile(!!!), quietly to yourself!!! (Mikexxxesterrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!! Mikexxxesterrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!)

Maria Callous said...

Mike if you keep talking like Holden Caulfield you may find yourself suffering the same fate...

Anonymous said...

It strikes me as being more of a Pat Conroy "Prince of Tides" kind of thing..................I think that Holden Caulfield probably turned out to be OK! After all, he was intelligent, thoughtful and sensitive; more than likely suffering from a brain-chemistry imbalance, to be remedied by the right pharmaceutical cocktail. I suspect he turned out just fine, thank you very much! But I'm worried about you, Maria!!! Judging from the time-stamp of your post, your vow to get a good night's rest somehow went out the window! Self-discipline should be your watchword! EARLY TO BED, blah, blah, etc. etc.!! It seems to me that even(maybe especially) beautiful young things need their beauty sleep! John Keats said, "A thing of beauty is a joy forever: It's loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness; but still will keep a bower quiet for us, and a sleep full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing." Sort of makes you think, doesn't it, Maria????

slapper58 said...

Caulfield?? Conroy???? That's pure Bogart (Casablanca/Treasure of the Sierra Madre) that morphs into Rodgers and Hammerstein(South Pacific and in particular Bali Hi)...end of story.

Anonymous said...

Oy Blobster,

I still want that f***ing cheesecake and the pitcher of cosmos - make one in March. Btw, you may have to stay at Grace Bay Club, look it up online and let me know if it suits you refined sensibilities.

PG

slapper58 said...

PG that looks pretty damn good. There are a few things I have to check in my contract rider regarding accomodations (you know about the ice sculptures right??)but so far all systems are go. As for cheesecake, name your flavor!