Search This Blog

Sunday, October 28, 2007

An Important BLOB Message to Young Women Everywhere: Stop Bitching!!!

Earlier this week a young female contributor posted a rallying cry in my comment section trying to stir other women readers of The Blob to rise up against some perceived menstruation-related slander and the so called laughing boy mentality. Days later, the silence is still deafening, no hate mail in retribution, no burning sac of bloody tampons on my doorstep and no mystery as to the apathetic response. What today's younger generation of women may fail to understand is that the war of the sexes is over. Sure there's still the occasional skirmish but the major battles were fought by your mothers and aunts in the days when just wanting to be addressed as Ms. instead of Miss or Mrs. created a storm of controversy. You've come a long way baby (to quote an old cigarette commercial). Just look at a snippet from an article in this week's news:

When Discovery arrived at its destination, Commander Pamela Melroy was welcomed aboard by Peggy Whitson, Ph.D., the first woman to ever lead the International Space Station. This female tour de force in the male dominated field of test pilots and astronauts sends an unmistakable message to young women that ''girls are good at math,'' and ''girls can do anything.''




So there you have it....women (with the exception of the approx. 90% who hail from the so-called backwards nations) have never had it so good!

Author David Jerome of the fabulous "Turd Stuffington" series of adventure books for boys agrees wholeheartedly: "I was part of the space program, briefly, in the late 60's and this of course was my inspiration for the Stuffington books. To say that it was an all boys club back then is putting it mildly...they might as well have tacked some crude no girls allowed sign to the front door!" chortled the trim scribe. "It was a macho atmosphere for sure but not without it's fair share of well closeted gay men, or so the rumor has it. Aparrently Buzz Aldrin got his nickname from the vibrator-like sound you'd hear whenever he was in the flight simulator with Eugene Grissom. The boys started calling it the flight stimulator" chuckled the mustachioed raconteur. "I mean...there were a whole lot of type A men in close quarters for days or weeks at a time. Some days it got to be a real snake pit or should I say cockpit!!" guffawed the well tailored wordsmith.

It almost goes without saying that women have made huge advances since those days. Men and women who slugged it out back in the day still carry the scars and are by and large too weary to be moved by any overzealous call to arms. Girls today should focus instead on the basics: finding a good job, a good man, having kids eventually, keeping the job, and travelling a bit. The 60's were tough, fun, and heady times but none of us want to go back there.

One more thing; in lieu of payment for his interview I agreed to place an ad spotlighting David Jerome's latest book. I also went off topic in light of JK Rowling's outing of her Dumbledore character and asked about Turd Stuffington's sexuality. Jerome was forthright and confirmed my suspicions....Stuffington is as straight as they come (phewww!!)

A mining expedition on Anulus 5 has gone horribly wrong killing hundreds. A toxic slime has seemingly infected the main shaft and all the artificial probes have mysteriously malfunctioned. Now Turd and his crew must probe the shaft themselves. Will they survive???

14 comments:

TorontoMave said...

All I can say is I still sting from an incident many years ago when I walked into my first Electronic Music 401 class at McGill. I was a little late, and when I walked in I looked around the room at the strangest looking guys I've ever seen, thinking "Is this the place?". The professor (a guy) said "I think you have the wrong room". One could argue that I wasn't "weird enough looking" for composition and that was his frame of reference, but I suspect it had more to do with the circumference of my chest. I can hear his internal dialogue to this day "A female?? In music composition??
Can't be. Sheesh, she's so thick she doesn't even realize she's in the wrong class..... ".

Alhough that was some time ago, I believe the prof may still be there and probably says the same thing every time a pair of breasts crosses the threshold of his sanctuary. Given this history, one shouldn't be surprised that he later went on to compose a piece for 100 trombones (what was THAT about ?!?!).

30 years later, I can attest that unfairness towards the female side of the species still exists, and can be harder to deal with today in some ways as it's been driven underground and pops up when you least expect it.

So ladies, we still have a long way to go and I applaud Oprah for setting the bar in terms of just how much money one broad can make and the influence she can have on the masses. Boys, no matter how you feel about her, you have to admire how well she's been able to market herself.

Gotta go now.........time to run to the store and buy the November issue of "O", eat a chocolate bar, yell at the hubby, and try and cool down from this hot flash......

Anonymous said...

Dear Blob,
Although this story happened some 30 odd years ago I still remember it like it was last Thursday. (The weekend is a blur....been in the lab the whole time using sound Designer software and the Akai S1000 sampler to manipulate tape loops of an ocarina and 100 overdubbed trombones!!!!)
Anyways, it was back in the early days of the Electronic Music studio and the students and I were in a frenzy of excitement what with the arrival of the new Kurzweill Analog to Digital real time processor. I recall looking up at one point and seeing a bewildered latecomer (could have been a female but frankly I didn't really notice.) What struck me was the contorted look of derision on his face as though he was thinking "What a bunch of pasty, pathetic, nerd losers!!....strangest looking guys I've ever seen!!!"
I automatically assumed from the condescending sneer that he/she was in the wrong place and I politely informed her/him of this.
Flash forward to the present and thankfully, this sort of blatant anti-nerdism is largely a thing of the past. While we may be wan and unathletic our talents have come to be appreciated and our counsel sought. Sure some bias still exists but it has been driven underground and will pop up when least expected. I guess you could say that we still have a long way to go but life is a lot easier when you aren't getting beaten up every day.
That's all I have to say...must go back to the lab now and do some minor repairs on the Hugh LeCaine Tone Mixture Generator but first some Weetabix!!

TorontoMave said...

OH MY GOD !!!!! It's him !!!

Anonymous said...

Alcides,

That was drivel. You are not a nerd, but the coolest cat who ever turned a subway map into a piece of music!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the kind words mr. Pib/soy although in all honesty I cannot take credit for my anonymous colleague's post regarding our department. You may be interested to know that we have just received a rather large Canada Council grant and this spring will endeavour to turn the piece of music back into a subway map. Due to improved technology since our initial project we anticipate being left with extra notes which will be turned into a menu and/or bowling scorecard. We are most excited to be living the dream!!!

Maria Callous said...

Blobby, could you ask Turd if he has any uncircumcised rockets?

slapper58 said...

Dear Maria,
Thank you for your query. Your youthful take on the world has been a breath of fresh air here at The Blob so it pains me to have to tell you (GOD I hate this!!!)that Turd Stuffington isn't real. Yes Maria, there is no Turd Stuffington.
As a boy there were many nights when I used to gaze up at the stars hoping he'd visit me and then dream that he was in my room promising to take me with him on one of his many adventures. It all seemed so real, so magical, and then the new day would arrive and sadly I'd wake up....it was always really hard in the morning. When I was old enough to go to bookstores by myself I recall the shock and despair at seeing all of Turd's stories in the fiction section but I guess part of growing up is letting go of one's childhood fantasies (I still cling to the Catwoman one but that's another story).
So there you have it....the truth about Turd. I'm sorry if I burst your balloon.

Maria Callous said...

Hey Blobber,

I feel your pain. When I was a young boy it used to be really hard in the mornings too. But you know what? The youthful feeling that arose every time good old Turd stuffed you full of exciting adventures will soon come again. And when it does the pleasure may be twice as big as the potential for excitement must have expanded significantly over the years. Then you'll be able to lie to me all you want about Turdeleh and keep him all to your self! I salute you, blobby ol' pal, in your quest for self-aggrandizement!

ps. You still didn't answer my question about the gentilian (pocket)rockets.

slapper58 said...

Dear Maria,
Thanks so much for the empathetic and beautifully written comment. I should say right off the bat that any sadness I felt over Cmmdr. Stuffington is long gone, packed away in a trunk filled with painful childhood memories.
I hate to have been the one to break the news and you're already displaying behavior characteristic of the emotional journey that most people go on when they find out Turd isn't real. You're now in what we call STAGE 1 or denial which will soon be followed by rage then cake and finally alcohol. It's just another perilous step on the trek towards womanhood.
Now...about your question. I called author David Jerome figuring if anyone should know it's him!! (do you SEE what I do for you people???) and he was rather coy saying only. "I assume your reader is in a metaphorical way asking me if Turd has a circumcised penis. Well, just take a look at that picture...have you ever seen such a clean cut young man??"

Maria Callous said...

I know that you get your yayas out by pressing my buttons (you sick bastard), but I still can't help but think that you didn't understand my damn post. I know there are no better penises in all the world, and I think the whole world recognized in that photo a snip well done, but I just thought I would inquire (in an obviously jokingly way) as to whether there were any penises of the gentile persuasion available for takeoff. But, I stand corrected. The joke wasn't funny and I will never attempt another one as long as I write.

btw, There can only be one true stage: Alcohol be Thy name!

slapper58 said...

That's the spirit!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Everyone, I thought I'd send you a missive LONG DISTANCE!! I was in Winnipeg for the weekend (yes, I had a FABulous time in the big city, DAWlings!!) and now I'm in Ottawa riding the Gravy Train! AKA, the NACO. I love it here but I have to say that I miss my family and wish they could join me in my massive suite down the road from the NAC. Got the last minute call yesterday and so far, so good. We ran through choice bits of the piece, although, not the ones with trombone in them. Anyone reading this who does not understand music-biz-related stuff, raise your hands. Sorry for you guys. Translation pending.

P.S. Thanks for the thoughtful chopped liver, Blobby! Now I feel less as though I were a batch of it, since thoughtful people like you make me feel special. AWWW! I also feel my iron levels bounding back!

slapper58 said...

Any time Mama C. If you have any friends that could use a tub of their own just let me know. I'm thinking of setting up a Chopped Liver-o-gram business. Easy street here I come!!

Anonymous said...

Blobby, you could make a killing with that Chopped Liver-o-Gram!! Just do it!