Search This Blog

Monday, July 16, 2007

The Pope be Kickin' the Mass Old School!

You must have heard by now; Pope Benedict has decided that the time is ripe for a return to the Latin Mass. Now I'm no Christian but it seems to me like this may not be the best way to attract new churchgoers. To His Holiness' credit he did at least agree to expunge a traditional prayer beseeching God to help Jews convert to Catholicism lest they end up "rotting in Satan's boiling excrement for eternity". A hearty Blob thank you to Pope Benedict.

I still think that all houses of worship have to market themselves accordingly and speak the language of the people. This sign spotted outside of an Oklahoma church is a perfect example; an age old message with a modern twist. I hear they have their own DJ and cotton candy for the kids...standing room only every week!!
I suppose I could go on about this subject but frankly it's late, I just got home from playing hockey, and I'm exhausted. "Boo hoo" I can hear you cry mockingly, "we want to be amused, make us laugh clown boy!!"
Now I'm feeling guilty so...when in doubt turn to YouTube. Here are a couple of classic moments brought to us by American Pop Culture.....I'm going to bed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqGN6aWKYUI clip one; a brilliantly constructed work of art. Shelly Berman is the dad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10F2tJE2Iv0&mode=related&search= Clip 2 has Larry David, (the ultimate lapsed Jew who can't speak a word of yiddish) currying favor with someone who is way more orthodox.

1 comment:

Maria Callous said...

Blob, am I the only one who thinks that pope benedict XVI looks like a frickin child molester? When I first saw his picture in the paper after the non-threatening-looking pope died, I thought, oh boy, this priests and alter boys thing is not going to dissipate as I'd hoped. I think we should inaugurate a giant french fry to be our spiritual leader! Then everyone would go home from church happy and full of spiritual wisdom! (though maybe they'lll wanna take a little cat-nap afterwards)