Search This Blog

Saturday, July 14, 2007

In Praise of Older Men


Mikexxxster asks: Here's the question-why is adam so much more buff than the deity who made him?




What he was really getting at was an issue addressed in a later comment by newcomer Maria Callous, namely Adam's extremely small penis as depicted by Michelangelo on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.
As we all know, artisitic depictions of the male member during antiquity and through the Renaissance were less than ostentatious as the various painters and sculptors were trying to appeal to a higher ideal. With this in mind one can still look at Adam and ask: "What the hell ??" Indeed the exceedingly small organ has led some to speculate that Pope Julius II (who commissioned the work in 1508) had ordered Michelangelo to paint Adam thusly to assuage the misery and embarrassment caused by his own legendary shortcomings. Archbishop Jacopo di Firenza famously remarked upon seeing the tiny papal penis for the 1st time: "Abbiamo nostro primo Papa della donna!" (We have our 1st woman Pope!). More likely though is the fact that this is a depiction of Adam before the fall and Michelangelo has chosen a baby's penis as a symbol of innocence.
As for buffness and a concern that Mikexxxster has with God's unkempt hair and beard, again we have to look no further than basic symbology. In the painting God is significantly older than Adam yet they are both equally muscular and well defined. He is clearly a patriarchal figure and his huge mane indicates that he is the alpha male that he should very well be. This is NOT a hygiene problem! The cloth draped demurely over the Lord's midriff was a late addition, again at the insistance of Pope Julius who became livid at the sight of "Il nostro signore con il pene di un bue" (Our Lord with the penis of an ox.)
Maria Callous in another post bemoaned her current single status and wonders how hanging around with her parents and their witty, older male friends will help her find the boy toy that she needs. Michelangelo portrays God as an older man because he knew something that Maria does not. The mature male makes an authoritative subject for an important work of art and in life this power borne of experience is often coupled with other desirous qualities: a comfort with his own neuroses, a knowledge of self not present in younger men, an acceptance of his own failures that leads to a more rational prioritizing of life's sundry elements, and occasionally a fortune accrued after many years of hard work. It takes a young woman of uncommon maturity to recognize these features and act accordingly....Look carefully Maria.....are older men who stop by your house only be there to mooch your parent's booze?

8 comments:

Maria Callous said...

Blobby, if this is a sneaky way of coming onto me, it is in most poor taste. But I'll forgive you because you're so damn cute! I am in the market for a slightly older man, but I must draw the line somewhere. And surely someone who mooches off my parents' booze and doesn't say goodbye to me before he leaves the party (!!!), is not the kind I'm looking for. But thank you for your concern and your divine advice. Blobbiness is next to godliness!

slapper58 said...

Thanks for the kind words but alas, I already have a younger girlfriend (OK...2 years younger but still). I was thinking more along the lines of unattached older men who drink more than I do. BTW..when didn't I say goodbye after a party. It couldn't have been the BBQ when your folks were out of town but if that's the way you remember it...I guess rohypnol has some pretty funky side effects!! If I WAS that rude at some point then I apologize...bye.

Mikexxxster said...

Blobinator! You are sophisticated man-about-town, a man who knows the ins and outs, as it were, of the nature of social intercourse with women.What's your opinion of this (I think, very minor)contre-temps? I have this friend, who, upon leaving a lovely birthday party, realised that he had neglected to say goodbye to one of his hostesses.This hostess, as a very young girl,used to gurgle with delight when my friend would dandle her on his knee(something, I understand, you also enjoyed immensely as a boy). Once home, he immediately e-mailed said hostess,and offered his very sincere apologies in a simple and heart-felt way. My friend tells me that she accepted the apology (if in a slightly grudging manner)and that that was the end of the story. You can imagine my friend's horror upon seeing the whole story shouted from the roof-tops (so to speak) in the Blob! Blob ! What more could my friend have done, short of debasing his amour-propre? Is this normal in these degenerate times? Is this what the world has come to? Why would Maria Callous behave towards me in this shabby way? Please comment-my friend is disconsolate!

Maria Callous said...

Hah! Dear Blobby, I could never mean you! I was obviously (well, not so obviously I guess) referring to another older man (even older than you) who snubbed me on the way out the door--he knows who he is and has actually already apologized for it. You are both very gracious party guests and I certainly didn't wish to slight you when I made that comment. As for your lady love, I love her like I love the alcohol in my griffon blonde! Keep her at your hip cuz if I don't try to steal her, someone else will (Perhaps God, with his rippling pectorals, long majestic beard and huge wang)!

Maria Callous said...

Oh mikey, don't be offended, surely not! I have to admit that when I made that comment I was just going for a cheap laugh--what kind of sick individual would do that (!!!) ??? I love you as much now as I did back when you bounced me off your knee (a gesture that I trade in (thankfully) now that I'm in my twenties for free car rides, leisurely lunches and boreale blonde.

Mikexxxster said...

Maria!(as I think one of the lines to the song goes,) say it loud and it's almost like braying!!! Ha! Ha! Just kidding, Maria!! Of course I'm not offended!! Who doesn't go for the cheap laugh sometimes? But seriously,Maria Callous,as a young lad growing up in the 50's,I seem to recall hearing on the radio a woman with a name very similar to yours. Of course,being so young (by the way,by all reports I was a beautiful child!!!)I knew nothing about music---anyway, this woman was, I believe, either a yodeller or a pig caller-how we laughed when we heard her "singing"!!! Happy memories!!! Anyhoo, feel like a free car ride sometime soon? (I really hope Blobby doesn't mind us using his site to communicate;I can just hear him say, "get a room!!!" But that would be wrong!!!!) Your good friend, Mikexxxter

slapper58 said...

I don't mind any of my readers playing out their relationships on my site. The inter-generational flirtation between Mikexxxster and M. Callous (daughter of party bear and Vivvy) is both riveting and oddly perverse. Mike....being outed on the internet for even the most minor indiscretion is a sign that you've arrived. Congrats and welcome aboard! You two can keep using this space for your soap opera as long as you'd like. I'll be in my room reading a book I decided to start for some reason: Lolita.

Maria Callous said...

Well, in the spirit of maintaining the sanctity (such as it is) of the Blob, I will respond to your comments using other media. But sure! I'm always up for a free ride baby! Especially since my good-for-nothing tenant for the summer has ditched us again for the west. Pff men are as fickle and unstable as women!! Plus he's not nearly so generous or as becoming at my arm as you :P Ok, I'll end the rambling nonsense here. Sorry Blobbelah, he started it!!