Search This Blog

Friday, June 16, 2006

Correctile Dysfunction


Anonymous Critic said...
"I have a general comment about your spelling/grammar, slapper58. I just want to say, obviously my son, the Grammar King, has NOT been reading your blog or he would definitely have weighed in on the various ways you use 'its' vs. 'it's'. So, it's up to me. SHAME on you! Crack open your 'Elements of Style' or read 'Eats, Shoots and Leaves'. As an author, its (or is it "it's"? YOU look it up as your first grammar test in forty years) your duty!!"

Thanks so much for pointing out my error or errors however I think the true mistake lies with those who 1st came up with the rules governing these 2 little words. I have in fact been using the Blob to try to correct this problem but in the interest of maintaining a sense of decorum around here I'll take the high road, correct all the mis-usage and move on. In future it'd be nice to have a name to attach to the correction so I can customize my gratitude more appropriately.

IT'S as in it has or it is should never have been granted the apostrophe. Sure it's a contraction but virtually every other English possesive gets an "apostrophe S" The team's bus, Jane's cowardice, Tom's pedantry etc. ...ITS should get one too! Ok Ok I'm not gonna (going to in its apostrophe-less, vernacular, contracted form) change the world here. It's time to bow to the will of the people.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't that SO Bob, shifting the blame away from himself. It's never YOUR mistake, is it Slapper?
I think it might be time some rough justice was meted out, blog-style.
Espionage Elle , you grab his legs. Embattled
Beaver, you and Dixxx hold his arms tight. Now,
ANONYMOUS CRITIC, hand me that Dixon Ticonderoga - the extra hard one, the 6H. It's going
straight in his meatus.
You'll thank me one day, Bob.

Anonymous said...

external auditory meatus? or the other more tender meatus which produces a liquid explosion?
I had no idea tterbfan was so .............aggressive..........and..........exciting!!!!!!
He paints quite an image....I'll admit to a few shivers and trembles upon reading his brief diatribe.
But to respond to these attacks against Blob's grammatical errors I must add my 17 cents, I have been correcting him for years on issues mainly related to spelling and his defense was to say that email etc. is a safe place where we can free ourselves from the burden society places on perfection. well..... I think if it is your own blog , one should raise the bar a bit. However those responding with comments should be free to loosen the language as long as the point of their message is kept intact. In case anyone is wondering.. THAT is the final word according to THE DECIDER.

Anonymous said...

I suspect your sense of gratitude might be displayed in a way which might be displeasing to me so I'll just stay anonymous, thank you very much. Anyway, even if you knew who I was, I know where YOU live, too. I'll give you a little hint, though: I have a ferocious guard dog.

Next,I think I'd like a dissertation on the 2nd person plural as used (or mis-used) in English. I.e. "Yous guys" vs. Y'all. What side do you land on in this great debate.

Anonymous said...

Uh, it was just a little oversight. It could happen to anyone. There should have been a question mark at the end of that last comment. Thought I'd just get that in before you jumped on me, Blob. I know how your mind works. (Hint #2)