Search This Blog

Saturday, December 09, 2006

More B.S. - As in Britney Spears

I have no interest in Britney Spears or her music (OK "Toxic" wasn't a bad song and her crotch shots were oddly compelling) other than a certain fascination with her being the embodiment of the ever-growing celebrity as product phenomenon. Watch this interview (pre-divorce) and you'll be tempted to empathize with poor Britney, misunderstood and harrassed to the point of tears by the relentless paparazzi http://disloyal.org/?show=976 . Okay?? Now juxtapose the teary young mom with the recent spate of photos featuring Britney and Paris Hilton partying away with nary a pair of underpants between them. (see Dec 4th)

Let this be a lesson to us all: the majority of so called celebs are emotionally needy exhibitionists who live and die by the PR that they can generate.

I too make my living as a musician and have never had to resort to the crass display of my gentalia to garner publicity. "Oh Yeah?!?" I hear you ask, "what about Japan??" By now it's a well known fact that the incident in Tokyo's Suntory Hall was either a complete accident or the drunken result of a lost bet (damn you Mr. Fujikowa!!). My memory of the event is a bit fuzzy but I've been assured by the proper authorities that my work visa will be reinstated this coming spring provided I sign a sworn statement proclaiming that I will never again be naked within the internationally recognized boundaries of the Japanese nation. (yes ...that includes bathing.)
At any rate, that was a few years ago and I've since changed my ways. Only time will tell if several years hence, Ms. Spears will be able to say the same.

No comments: