Search This Blog

Monday, December 25, 2006

A Leap of Faith

As mentioned in the last post I'm dealing with a primitive dial-up internet hookup while on vacation and I'm currently facing my first related dilemma. Dixxx (bless his heart)has sent me a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e647x8xFKTs that contains what I assume are warm Chrismukkah wishes from one Fred Phelps. All that I know of Phelps is that he is an outspoken and orthodox preacher who espouses a literalist view of scripture. As a result he and his devout band of disciples travel across the continent preaching the gospel and evangelizing just as they've been instructed to do in the bible.
While I may not always agree with his views I admire his determination and his steadfastness in the face of criticism. There are many who do not take kindly to him but it's hard to argue with his interpretation of scripture...it's all there in black and white.
I can't view the clip because of the interminable download time but if Dixxx sent it in and it's some sort of interfaith message of hope and tolerance from Phelps (which I'm guessing it is because he is after all a follower of Christ who was a kind, tolerant, and forgiving soul)) then I'm willing to take the leap of faith and blindly post the unvetted video clip. (a first here at The Blob)
I trust that the high standards of moral decency and good taste that I've worked so hard to achieve and maintain will be upheld.

1 comment:

slapper58 said...

I finally got to see the clip and now realize that the name "Fred Phelps" did ring a bell. A couple of years back I did a tour with "I Musici" and we had a concert in Kansas City. There were actually pickets outside the hall with signs that said such things as "Canada is a fag country!!" It was Phelps and his well-wishers and they were there because Canada had just agreed to allow gay marriage. It didn't help that we were performing works of Tchaikovsky,Menotti, and Britten's "Serenade for Homosexual and Chamber orchestra".