Search This Blog

Saturday, December 09, 2006

Chrismukkah???


I actually saw a municipal electronic message board announcing an upcoming Chrismukkah party and gift exchange. Now I'm all for the interdenominational, brotherhood of man stuff but please....leave my holiday alone!! This is yet another example of the war on Hannukah (or Chanukka, Channukah, Hannukha etc.) that shows no sign of letting up.

Jesus was no doubt a great man but he may have been a cross between motivational maven Tony Robbins and magician David Copperfield rather than the son of God. Hannukah on the other hand...now there's a miracle! A thimble full of oil lasting a full 8 days?? I get shivers just thinking about it....I mean really....OIL.......8 full days!!......and it was only a tiny bit!!! Imagine the power of 5 D cell batteries crammed into only one AAA and you'll begin to appreciate the scope and grandeur of this holiday. Honestly, it wasn't even enough oil to fry up a pork chop let alone consecrate a temple for more than a week and now the powers that be are trying to hybridize the Festival of Light and deprive us of it's singular glory. It's bad enough that the obligatory seasonal shopping trips leave me feeling less like a human being and more like a cow headed for slaughter (the retail outlet as abbatoir where we are herded, manipulated, and processed by forces way beyond our control) but please....don't go cutting my potato latkes with bits of fruitcake or wassail (whatever the hell that is).
Chrismukkah?? I think not!

No comments: