Search This Blog

Sunday, February 11, 2007

More Cool Stuff and a Minor Beef

I don't know what you're supposed to call the brother of your girlfriend so I'll just refer to him as Dan (which also happens to be his name). Anyways Dan sent me an email featuring the chalk sidewalk drawings of Julian Beever and they freaked me out. I found a short film on youtube that I'll share with you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyPhCO3LrtQ (so very sorry about the horrible Eurotrash soundtrack) For a better look go to his website: http://users.skynet.be/J.Beever/pave.htm.

As for the beef I'm not at all happy with some trends in fashion terminology i.e. the illogical use of the singular "shoe" or even worse "pant" when referring to a pair of either. I can't stand sentences like "He wore a simple brown shoe with a khaki pant" but because of shows like "Queer Eye" and "What Not to Wear" they are becoming increasingly prevalent. A pair of shoes are definitely 2 things and a pair of pants are arguably 2 things because of the seperate legs but why do we say "a pair of underpants"? They are clearly 1 thing and the fact that they have 2 leg holes won't sway me. After all a shirt has 2 arm holes but we don't say a pair of shirts and a thong has 2 leg holes but we still use the singular and save the term "a pair of thongs" when we want to refer to beach sandals or flip flops.

The problem with the word "underpants" lies with the fact that we are talking about a singular garment that lies beneath a pluralized one; pants. Should we simply say "an underpant" or drop the "pair of" and just say "underpants"? The truly logical choice would be "an underpants" but that's so ungainly and leaves us back at square one. I think I'll go to bed now...my head hurts a lot and clearly I have too much time on my hands.
Maybe one of you out there can straighten this out.

No comments: