Search This Blog

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Curiouser and curiouser



The title of this post (borrowed from Alice in Wonderland) refers in this case to this video entitled "I Kissed a Girl", a current smash hit by somebody named Katy Perry. I'm afraid that poor Alice, for all her fictional mis-adventures, would be hard pressed to navigate through the strange, real world that young girls and boys inhabit today.

While the song and accompanying video are clearly a blatant attempt at titillation, boundary pushing, and cashing in on the whole faux-lesbian chic craze, the affair leaves a bad taste in my mouth (GOD you guys are so immature...you know what I mean!!).

I'm of two minds on this issue but first let's take a look at some of the lyrics:



Us girls we are so magical
Soft skin, red lips, so kissable
Hard to resist so touchable
Too good to deny it
Ain't no big deal, it's innocent


I kissed a girl and I liked it
The taste of her cherry chapstick
I kissed a girl just to try it
I hope my boyfriend don't mind it
It felt so wrong
It felt so right
Don't mean I'm in love tonight
I kissed a girl and I liked it
I liked it


The party pooper in me is getting all bent out of shape by the poor grammar and ridiculous message, telling young girls that changing sexual identity can be a fleeting kick, like trying on a new pair of shoes or a nifty strap-on. It also helps if this behaviour is alcohol fueled (your "out" position) and at a party or club (major league attention!!).

The typical guy in me (with apologies to author and Analrapist Tobias Funke) can't believe that women have fallen for this once again. It's clear that men have financed and encouraged this song and are overjoyed that our fantasies are becoming acceptable and commonplace. If girls continue to believe that it's OK to get naked and/or make out with each other in public then who are we to complain. This is some kind of golden age...perhaps it's best to just sit back and ogle, to blithely enjoy the spectacle as civilization implodes. And talk about product placement......Cherry Chapstick sales have gone through the roof!! Company execs are tickled pink and are already cashing in.

Remember guys; Mum's the word!!

4 comments:

slapper58 said...

For some reason I'm not getting any sound on the video clip. If this happens to you just click on the YouTube logo, sit back, and enjoy (as civilization implodes).

Anonymous said...

Hot.

Anonymous said...

Not.

Anonymous said...

What a coincidence! That video depicts exactly what goes on down under (pun intended). I had no idea that's how it works up there at the Big Man's home away from home. He never dishes anything!