Search This Blog

Sunday, February 10, 2008

TV or not TV........(sorry)








Before I get in to the meat and potatoes of this post (along with a side of mixed vegetables and a chemically enhanced apple delite)let me just say that the writer's strike appears to be all but settled and this only a day after I posted a plea for reconcilliation between the warring factions. How do you spell clout?? Gimme a B, gimme an L, gimme an O, gimme...OK, you get the picture.



Now then, a couple of contributors (party bear and Mikexxster) have tag teamed me in the comment section citing some reformed ad exec, media guru type named Gerry (sic) Mander. It's actually Jerry but I prefer their spelling because gerrymander is a real word meaning dividing a voting area so as to give your own party an unfair advantage. It seems as though PB and the Mikexxster are creating a little voting bloc of their own and are are saying a resounding NO to television and yes to Mr. Mander and his celebrated Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television (perish the thought!!!!).

Mander is clever, his arguments thought provoking, and his adman acumen has won him all sorts of accolytes ready to evangelize in his name but the book was written in 1978 and TV has come a long way since then.......(waiting for opponents to stop rolling on the floor, clutching stomachs and howling with laughter).

Seriously though, Mander contends that TV is a dangerous medium, I see it as neutral. He says it exists only to sell us stuff we don't need, I say "so what!" I'd rather that my children and I watch these commercials and that I teach them how to see with a sceptical eye. There are ads everywhere, not just on TV, and learning how to negotiate this minefield is an essential life skill. We actually watched an incredible show about this on CBC NewsWorld. We are or will all be consumers in a consumer society. Short of moving to a shack in the forest and eventually sending mail bombs to those who disagree with you let's agree that television is largely a medium that produces garbage so that others can sell their own garbage. If only 5% of the product is in any way edifying then so be it. Part of the thrill is in the hunt!

There have always been gullible, sad, and stressed out people, and charlatans who exploit them.
There have always been righteous leaders bent on improving our lot. Say what you want about TV but book sales are up (thank you Oprah!!) and television is more a repository of diverse opinion than it was in the 3 network days when Mander penned his book.
He rales against the second hand experiences that TV offers us, our knowledge coming from so-called experts on the small screen, often about things far afield that he thinks shouldn't be our concern (he currently runs a major anti-globalization think tank). How different is getting our knowledge from him (information that he feels is vital of course) in written form? Of course it's way more detailed but TV for a reasonable viewer can be about the piquing of interest on a vast variety of subjects.

Late last night I saw a cool doc about the Gnostic Christians....could the Christ story pre-date Jesus himself?? They showed an Egyptian heiroglyph with 3 holy men kneeling before a Mother cradling a baby. They were Isis and little Horus and I believe there was some talk of a virgin birth. Very interesting, I think I'll read up on it.



14 comments:

slapper58 said...

Sure I could have gone into greater depth and argued my point long into the night but what with our addled minds and truncated attention spans (caused by "you know what")I opted for my usual concise, snappy commentary with accompanying flashy visuals.
The Blob is after all television in its more palatable written form.

Anonymous said...

Blob,

It's so easy to defend my argument, baby, 'cause you haven't read the book!
It's more than boring to rant (or rail) on about what Jerry has to say, so I will just continue to say: look at the arguments first. They are pretty compelling, and are written by one who has spent a long time involved in the medium, and has spent a long time thinking about it.


Booooring says our TV generation, and they are right. Let's go look at some titties and beer!

Anonymous said...

Dear Blob,

Despite my contempt for your egregious position on so called "tele-vision", I have to give you props for the tasteless joke at my (former) saviour's expense!

Maria Callous said...

There once was a man name of blob
who rounded up quite a big mob
of bachelors with plants
and losers with rants
Who ought to just play with their knobs.

slapper58 said...

I read at least 3 favourable articles summarizing and commenting upon Mander's book. I get the idea and is there anybody more holier than thou than a reformed alcoholic, smoker, TV watcher etc.?? He's also a seasoned adman. He can make a compelling argument for pretzels filled with fake cheese so that he is convincing comes as no surprise.
TV is not the greatest ill that has befallen our society...maybe bad parenting is.
His section on the harmful rays emanating from the set have been largely disproven and I bet he spends hours a foot or two away from his computer screen every week just like the rest of us...where's the hue and cry?
Besides, I basically agree with him and his disciples but this black and white approach has got to go...even black and white TV wasn't black and white, just many shades of gray sort of like life!!
The clincher is this: 1971, high school, English teacher is reading out the results of a test on a book that I hadn't read. Guess who got the highest mark...that's right, Me. I rest my case!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Blob,

I really can't argue with you. You make some very good points:
books ARE boring, reading them is no fun, and the pages are soooo heavy, and like books are soooo boring...

Anonymous said...

The best thing on this page (and the most entertaining) is Maria's lively limerick. I must say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree...

slapper58 said...

1st of all Mr. Party Bear a new day approaches and should you be moved to write another early morning comment please at least have a coffee if you're gonna skip your daily chill pill!!
Umm....was somebody arguing about the merit of books?? That's like questioning the value of air. (which is so passé BTW....I try to get at least 3 hours of xenon a day)
2nd of all you should tell your daughter to stop referring to you as a ranting loser. She should keep calling Mikexxxster a bachelor with plants though because I enjoy the inference.

Mama C. the apple (your daughter maria C) indeed does not fall far from the tree (you).
The apple also has no qualms about stealing key rhymes (Blob/knob) from the tree but I can see how you'd be blinded by maternal pride.
Here I was trying to elevate the tone with an actual clean limerick and now even the chicks are going blue on me. I guess that's a cue for my own dirty little poem:

A world weary mezzo named Callous
An underworld princess with malice
a two for one deal
for a guy with appeal
and a heterosexual phallus

Anonymous said...

There once was an worthwhile blog
With laughter, he cleared out the fog
But he got the bitch itch
Now there's nary a stitch;
His wit is gone dry as a log

Anonymous said...

There once was a bunch of big dorks
Who seemed to've gone off of their corks:
They talk of whose penis
Is lushest and leanest;
They seem to know nothing of storks.

Party Bear said...

Blobeleh,

Thanks for your comments. Please understand though, I am not arguing the merit of books, I am merely saying that you are a dork!

Party Bear said...

Hi Again Blob,

Sorry about that last post; I hadn't had my chill-pill, and it just came out that way.... I've had a rivotril and a mochacchino, and now I'm thinking much more clearly:

Really, as you know blob, I love TV.
And I love Oprah. I dream about her sometimes, hovering over my bed, giving counsel, telling me what to do, and how to think, and making it all better; like a giant womanly valium, erasing all my troubles with her positive thinking and rock-solid self-esteem.
God Bless you, Oprah, and those dear people on Survivor, I sure hope they make it! And you too, myth-busters; your cute curly mustaches have made me smile on the inside more than once! Also, please Lord, take care of those geeks, who are stuck in that big house with those beautiful women. Why can't we all get along like some of the couples seem to be doing? It's a lesson for us all really.
And I hope the baby jesus will bless those girls who want to be pussy-cat dolls. Please show them that they don't have to stoop so low to please a man. Dr. Phil would set those girls right! I wish he would!

Thanks blob, for the reminder about the pill. Everything is going to be O.K. now!

Anonymous said...

Awful nice to hear what Papa Bear has to say after he's taken his medication. I'll have to stir it into his Wheaties every morning. Or possibly melt it into his machochino (sp?), 'cause that stuff he's spewing is gold! In fact, let me get a pencil...

slapper58 said...

If he's spewing gold I'd go with a bucket. Best of luck.