Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Trash Talk

I can't help it. I guess I need the pain to feel alive but I found myself watching 2 minutes of a show called TMZ last night. TMZ is the celebrity stalker/gossip website best known for out-papparazzi-ing the papparazzi (and may God protect me from ever having to type a sentence like that again!!) Now they have their own TV show that is so overly smug, bitchy, ironic, and sophomoronic that I cringe just thinking about it.

How have millions of people been manipulated into making celebrity worship into a multi-billion dollar industry? When I was growing up there was The National Enquirer and later People magazine which along with TV's Entertainment Tonight should be blamed for this mess more than anyone else. Now it's reached the point when I can only feel impending doom when a breathy fake-boobed reportrix gushes on about Sir Paul being seen with Rosanna Arquette or Jennifer Aniston taking her two dogs in the car as she left Malibu during the big brushfire (which spared her house BTW...phew!!!!). Have people's lives become so meaningless or depressing that this is the desired escape route? Maybe I should just turn my house into a plant filled oasis, throw away my television, and venture out of doors only to work or for the occasional social activity (on my terms of course!).

I think that along with those campaigns for Non-shopping days somebody should also try to institute an Ignore Celebrities Day. These people are attention pigs who have developed a strange type of symbiotic relationship with the parasitic gossip industry. Now I hear that People Magazine is going regional with dozens of new North American franchises specifically tailored to geographical niche markets. I suppose Quebec's will be called Peuple, New Mexico's La Gente etc. Here's one I dug up targeted towards the New England market. Obscure yes but I'm sure it'll fly off the racks.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Blob, for the joke only 4 people in the world can enjoy! (Proud to be one of the lucky quartet!)
You're good feifle, Blobbie!

slapper58 said...

what can i say.....I had one of those "What the hell"! moments.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Blobele! You see, this is what comes from watching "TV" shows like The Amazingly Ridiculous Race, or Survivor with the Most Replusive A-type Personality!!!! How many times must I say it(?!?!)---JUST SAY NO!!! This wonderful utopia of yours..........a plant filled oasis....no "TV"......only occasional contact with the unwashed, mouth-breathing masses---ON MY OWN TERMS(!!!!!)..........do you think such a Xanadu could possibly exist?!?!?!?! You give me hope, Blobber, you give me hope!!!! In the mean time, why don't we get together sometime (I'll bring the soda-pop!) and listen to a good radio drama? (I'll let you know when I feel like it; that's cool, right?) You're the best, Blobbie, THE BEST!!!

Anonymous said...

Blobbie- I hope you don't mind---a belated response to The Totally Hot Underworldprincess2007---the goth look is beyond the pale (hideous!)!!!! If I wanted a date with Yvonne DiCarlo I would have asked her out (yes,I'm almost that old!!) But that's just my opinion!! It seems to me that the ideal of youthful beauty today would reside in someone like, say, Maria Callous; rosy-cheeked, clear-of-eye, the sweetest of dispositions (ha! ha!)--you get the picture!!!!! Underworldprincess!!! Be more like Maria (a rule we should all follow!!!)!!!

Anonymous said...

Blob -

Gotta take you to task on your spelling of "Feifle".

[the "f"s seem to sharp for the sound you want there.
Ideally, you'd want to mix a "w"s with each of those "f"s, though I guess that might be hard to indicate]

I'll keep thinking about this and you do too.

tt