Search This Blog

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Feifle.....Feifle who need feifle....are the luckiest feifle etc.

Tterbfan writes:

Blob -Gotta take you to task on your spelling of "Feifle".

[the "f"s seem too sharp for the sound you want there. Ideally, you'd want to mix a "w"s with each of those "f"s, though I guess that might be hard to indicate]

I'll keep thinking about this and you do too.



I couldn't agree with you more Tterbfan. I had such a problem with this that I almost canned the post and was hoping for a comment such as yours so I could go ahead and show any and all who cared my proposed solution. (a solution that has nothing to do with the letter W by the way, what could you have been thinking???).

Sparing no expense I decided to consult famed Hollywood speech and dialect coach Dr. Zbignievhw Krzynzjkzha who was willing to spend a few moments to help me prepare the following on line tutorial (all this at significant expense mind you). Besides his exorbitant hourly rate I'm also required to tout his upcoming memoir but if it helps my readers to better understand the correct pronounciation of Feifle than so be it. This is no time to be counting nickels!!



The Blob On-line Pronounciation Guide to the Word Feifle

On the surface nothing could seem simpler than pronouncing the word Feifle, but not so fast....looks can be deceiving! In order to achieve the proper faux New England/rustic accent care must be taken to follow the following steps carefully (ed. note: you may want to tighten up that last bit).



  1. A general nasal and slightly whiny tone must be adopted (Think Dana Carvey doing George Bush Sr.)

  2. The F 's must be breathy and well aspirated with the upper teeth barely touching the bottom lip

  3. The EI is a dipthong (actually a diphthong) which reminds me this is Thursday...time to soak down my underpants .....and should be pronounced awe-eye trying as best possible to join the two making a one syllable vowel sound

  4. The L is barely voiced or to use the musical parlance ghosted. The back of the tongue is pressed up against the palate to produce something of a glottal stop

  5. Assume the attitude of a 65-70 year old Maine outdoorsman who after a long day of lobster fishing likes nothing more than sitting around the wood stove spinnin' yarns over a few Sam Adams.

I think this may just work and the humorous impact of the last post will become readily apparent. Good luck and again, special thanks to Dr. Zbig. I just got a hold of his book ad a couple of minutes ago. Frankly I was expecting something more scholarly but a deal's a deal....here it is:


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's diphthong, mr. Joe EnglishMajor. Sheesh!

slapper58 said...

Dear Rosey,
Thanks so much for the correction. I've made the required change and even kept in the original mistake so that others can see the pertinence of your comment. I'm certainly not an English major nor do I often, if ever, use the word diphthong in either its spoken or printed form (as would an opera singer perhaps) but that doesn't in any way excuse me from such sloppy editing. Please accept my apologies. It was a longish post and I let an error slip by.
Oh yeah, one more thing.....even though I'm not an English major I did notice that you spelled "rosey" with an E, forgot to capitalize "mr." and turned "EnglishMajor" into one word with a capitalized M in the middle(??). Are you from Lithuania or something? I couldn't have jammed more mistakes into such a short post if I had a shoehorn and a tube of KY!!!
all my love,
Blobster

burned out beaver said...

I would have spelled it
" hphaihphuhl" And I dare anyone to present a discordant viewpoint as I am the SPELLING QUEEN!!! I know I didnt invent the word but I have spent years now with bob reviewing its use and practising the pronunciation weekly if not daily, I get the final say.........
SCREW YOU ALL, TRY ME!!! BRING IT ON!!! COME ON!! COME ON!!!!!!....
.... OK, back to psych assessment..

slapper58 said...

Nice try Beav but that spelling would set a dangerous precedent. I for one am not prepared to start spelling every word exactly the way it sounds. Anyways, the AI diphthong is all wrong and the word itself is way too long for the magazine cover layout (of course I can understand why you would have overlooked this aspect). Feifle strikes a nice balance by hinting at the proper pronounciation while harkening back to the original "People" title. The subsequent tutorial should be eenuhf to ehjookait those interested.
BTW about that psych assessment....are you gonna be OK?
Aisle of ewe, Isle a view

Anonymous said...

Ha! In rosey-cheeked sass queen's defence (and I'm a bit like a welping lion, as you know, in this respect), it WAS late in the evening and she was liberally soaked in rum when she wrote that. On a regular day, before, say, noon, I'm sure she would never have forgotten to capitalize her own name, for instance!!

LOL

Anonymous said...

Sorry, should have signed that last post, "Mama Sass".

Hey, what's wrong, now NONE of our names are capitalized!! Blobbele, how are we supposed to prove our prowess in the grammar department if we can't fool around with capitals on this blog? ANswer mE thaT?

slapper58 said...

Mama Sass, I'd liken you more to a Mama Partybear; very protective but still allowing your cubette to get drunk on a school night. The absence of capitals in the comment titles is not my doing. Maybe the people at BLOGGER think it's artsy.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Blobbie! I'm sure this is all very interesting (although I do like the cut of Burned out Beaver's jib, if you know what I mean!!!); but what does it have to do with trombone and/or euphonium players? PLEASE!!!! A little more focus vis a vis your core audience!!!!!