Search This Blog

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Testing the Waters


Here's part of the press release for my latest CD. With my 2 week stint in Vegas behind me it seems like I might actually have a shot in the "funny business". Word of mouth helped audiences grow throughout the week and seeing as my material works best with an inebriated and under-educated crowd this was a golden opportunity in this desert jewel of a city!
My act harkens back to a more innocent age where your Woody Allen or your Shecky Greene didn't have to shout profanities to get big laughs. They also didn't see fit to flaunt their Judaism in public and chose more humble and goyish names. They led by example which explains why my stage name is a variant on my first two given names; Robert and Jeffrey. Today a Mr. Jerry Seinfeld, a Sarah Silverman, a Hersch Goldenblatt (formerly Sinbad) etc. are more in your face about the whole Jew thing which I find rather distasteful.
The way I see it having a wasp name and a Jewish world view creates an incongruity that keeps an audience off balance and gives more control of the situation to the comedian. I had the Cesar's Palace crowd eating out of my hands by putting this theory into practice and my catchphrase; "I HATE myself!!!" is already showing up on T shirts. I'll be touring this summer...check out the act...buy the CD...let me know what you think.

No comments: