Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

When in Islamabad.....


OK then...time to come clean about those ads for counter-terrorism once and for all. Yes, CSIS has a file on me which means so do the CIA and many other intelligence organizations now that they've learnt to share. Yes, I did have a weekend tryst with the current Governor General of Canada when she was still a reporter and yes, I did dump her because she seemed too needy. The strange thing is, however, that neither of these two points have anything to do with each other.
Some years ago I was in Paris to perform some contemporary music. The per diem was pretty skimpy so I did a lot of eating in my room by boiling water and adding it to ramen and other such instant meals. A small East Indian grocery next to my hotel had a good selection of curries and soups and one of these had a scratch and win contest that, lo and behold, I scratched and won!! The prize was a trip for 2 to Islamabad but since I couldn't find a willing travelling partner I went by myself.
Islamabad was something of a disappointment because most of the tourist sites were closed during some sort of religious festival. One of the pleasant surprises was that raw sewage, given the proper conditions of high humidity and 47 degree temperature, gives off quite an intoxicating aroma. Anyways, with the festival dragging on for days on end I decided to join in on one of the ubiquitous street parades. As I ventured into the throng I couldn't help wondering why, on this day, people seemed very angry so I oozed my way (I was sweating a lot) to the front of the crowd and soon realized that this was an anti-American protest that was threatening to get out of hand. I joined in with gusto hoping to avoid getting hacked to pieces and it worked except that CSIS got a picture of me in full frenzy and put me on a terrorist sympathizer list. The rest is history and the ads in the sidebar are just a friendly reminder that big brother is still watching me.
Here's hoping that we can now put this issue to rest.

No comments: