Search This Blog

Friday, May 02, 2008

There's Something About Milkmaids

Almost every occupation has been fetishized or at least served as fantasy fodder for both men and women. Indeed many jobs have become staples in sexual role playing i.e. The cowboy and the school marm, nurse and doctor (or patient), delivery boy (usually mildly retarded) and bored housewife, actuary and investment banker.....OK, maybe not that one but still, you get the point.






This is a facet of human behaviour that goes back centuries or more. Indeed the photo at left (courtesy of the Louvre-Antiquities; Egyptology Dept.- Role Play wing) details an amorous coupling between Nimanhotep and Nefertiti III, with their attendants in tow, as they precede coitus with an elaborate foreplay ritual where they pretend to be an irate customer and a fishmonger. (it's all there in black and white folks, and besides, most fish markets I know of are veritable brothels, especially when the fresh hake comes in!)

One of the all time classics is the milkmaid who, in tandem with the plowman, was a staple of erotica and bawdy song as far back as the 1800's. Here's a brief example:

"As Nell sat underneath her cow, Upon a cock of hay, Brisk John was coming from the plough, And chanc'd to pass that way: Like lightning to the maid he flew, And by the hand he squeez'd her; Pray John, she cry'd, be quiet do, And frown'd because he teaz'd her" etc.

As men we're all familiar with teachers, nurses, nuns, librarians and the like but the milkmaid holds special sway even though none of us have ever seen one. What then is the power of this archetype? I'm no Freudian (and I killed the last guy who said I was....just happened to be my Dad) but the whole mommy/breast feeding thing is in there somewhere as is the suggestive image of the knowing hand on the cows teat. More importantly we have a woman at one with nature, at once innocent yet knowing in the ways of animal husbandry who, if she's willing to mess around with a cow's nether regions, will probably do anything you want without flinching.

The reality is that milkmaids probably smell like cow, have sore backs, and are often exhausted but hey...don't let me rain on your parade.

The milkmaid has made her way into all manner of cultural forms of expression, from literature to erotic film, from ceramics to fine art (see vermeer).

Just look at these lovely Delft salt and pepper shakers I got at an antique fair a while back. For some reason the craftsman forgot the holes. A weird error yes but sure to increase the value. My girlfriend took a shine to the darn things and I haven't seen them since! (strangely enough I haven't seen her either)

While I'm giving examples here's yet another, this time from the pulp fiction genre of the 1950's:




This has been another in "The Blob" Sexual Archetypes Educational Outreach series

11 comments:

Maria Callous said...

You bastard.

Anonymous said...

Charming I'm sure.

Viv said...

Blob, you ignorant slut,

Please find someone else's picture to put on your lascivious book covers! Is your mouse finger too lazy to find a public domain image, or better yet, the lamented Phyllis. I seem to remember you once careed enough for her to use her in your humourous jibes!

Anonymous said...

Mama C - 1, Blob - 0.

slapper58 said...

Me?? A Bastard???
Maria, somehow it was funny when I put your beloved dad (albeit his tiny, near naked, almost unrecognizeable likeness)on the "Attack of the Ice Bears" cover and yet I put your relatively chaste photo on the "Milkmaid" cover and everybody goes ballistic. Sure I could have used the original milkmaid pic but then I wouldn't have gotten anyone's goat and Lord knows, I can use all the goats I can get!!
Party Bear (AKA Vivian??)....stop acting like the prime minister of Douchebagistan and let me be me!!
Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Maria!! Don't tie your knickers into a knot (let me do it for you!! Ha! Ha! Just kidding!! It's good to be back!!! I FEEL SO ALIVE!!!)!!!! All the eye-brow raising, the hand-wringing and teeth-gnashing and what-have-you about the sexually - suspect behaviour of milk-maids is nonsense!! Maria!! You are vindicated (you're welcome!!)!! It has nothing to do with lascivious, large-breasted hotties (although, when you think about it, what's wrong with that?? I mean, really!!! Live and let live, I always say!! Except for the Jews......those damned Jews!!!!!!) at all! The fact of the matter is that before Edward Jenner developed the vaccination process, milk-maids were often exposed to cowpox, a much milder form of smallpox. As a result, they rarely suffered from the effects of that disfiguring disease, and were therefore (generally) considered to be prettier than other women; to be mistaken for a milk-maid was high praise indeed!! End of story!! Here's to Maria Callous - Queen of the Milk-Maids!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Blobber!!! "Douchebagistan"!!!!!!! You hit that one out of the park (damn that useless loser Party Bear - masquerading as a woman!!! Is he a Jew, or possibly an homosexual ??? Just asking.........)!!!!!! Great work, Blobbie!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Maria Callous--La Bovina!

Party Bear said...

Ooh Blobby,

You are sooooo hot when you're angry!
Please understand, I was just protecting my daughter's honour, and also the slander of using her face on someone with an obviously inferior chest!
Really, I love your work, Blobbie, but can we please think of the children?!?!?!

slapper58 said...

Party Bear: I admire you coming to the defense of your daughter Maria C. and yes, the smallish chest in the Turd Stuffington photo was a tad slanderous but ask yourself tihs...does she really need to be defended from me?? I'd say a more likely target is your misanthropic buddy MIkexxster. OOPS he doesn't appreciate the word misanthrope so how's about racist, sexist, homophobic...take your pick.
Because of her razor sharp wit, her talent as a writer, and a couple of other things, Maria has become my muse and as such must enure herself to the occasional "artist's rendering".
No disrespect was meant and no harm was done but if this means that I owe Maria another smoothie than so be it.

Anonymous said...

Geez, I stop paying attention for a couple of days and people start taking my name in vain! Party Bear, use your own computer to defend your daughter's honour! However, I won't say any more about his chivalry, cause I think it's sweet (AAW!). Okay, you guys have said enough about the subject, I'll leave you to it. Except that Maria does seem well able to defend herself most of the time, so there I must agree with Bob.